Work Permit

Canada Work Permit, or a Work Visa, is issued to eligible overseas individuals to work in that country for a specific time period.

People need to apply for a Work Visa only after getting a job offer or an employment contract from a Canadian employer. The employer must obtain from ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), which gives them permission to recruit foreign skilled workers for occupations that cannot be filled in by citizens or permanent residents of Canada.

As one of the world’s leading economies Canada is a great destination for individuals seeking to work abroad. The Canadian Work Permit Visa allows business people, permanent workers, temporary workers, students and others to work in Canada. Typically, applicants need to have a job offer in hand in order to apply for the work permit visa. With our end-to-end overseas career solutions, DayStar Immigration can help you find a job and apply for a Canadian Work Permit Visa.

Eligibility For Canada Work Permit Visa:

Applicants need to show proof that they are eligible to take up the job offer. To apply for a Canada Work Permit from India, you need to meet certain requirements. Documents need to be submitted in either English.

The Canada Work Permit Visa is ideal for temporary workers, foreign graduates from Canadian universities, businessmen and others who need to work in Canada.

Who can apply for an open work permit?

    You may be eligible for an open work permit if you
  •  are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  •  are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  •  have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  •  applied for permanent residence in Canada
  •  are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  •  are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  •  are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Program
  •  are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  •  are under an unenforceable removal order
  •  are a temporary resident permit holder
  •  are a young worker participating in special programs

Document required

  •  A valid passport with a validity of more than 6 months from the planned date of arrival in Canada.
  •  Two recent passport-sized photographs
  •  Educational qualification certificates
  •  Proof of professional qualifications, including work experience
  •  Proof of having adequate financial resources to cover their expenses during their stay in Canada
  •  Medical examination required to be done from registered hospitals.
  •  Application fee

Applicants should also be able to convince immigration officials that they would return to their home country after the end of their employment.

  •  A Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) document that your employer would need to have;
  •  Any proof that your employer has extended an offer to you through the Employer Portal or paid the employer compliance fee;

What are the types of Work Permits?

There are 2 types of work permits or work visas that you can get:

Open Work Permit

An Open Work Permit otherwise known as an International Mobility Program for Canada is a type of work permit that is not specific to a certain job. All other work permits are issued for the holder to work for one employer, but the Open Work Permit allows you to change employers as long as the permit is valid.

If you are applying as a Temporary Foreign Worker, then this permit will allow you to work in Canada for 6 months or less. During this time, you can change employers as long as they are accepted by the Canadian Government and are not involved with activities not accepted by the Government.

Different from other types of work permits, the Open Work Permit does not require you to submit the following information:

Closed Work Permit

Canada operates the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) as a means to supplement its work force when there is no qualified worker in Canada to do a job. An employer looking to hire a foreign worker in Canada often needs to submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application to the Canadian government. The Canadian government employee reviewing the application must determine that the hiring of the foreign worker will have a positive or neutral effect on the Canadian labour market. Among other factors, it must be clear that no qualified Canadians were passed up in favour of the foreign worker, and that the foreign worker will be given a salary and benefits that meet federal and provincial standards.